The U.S. Army Aviation and Missile Research Development and Engineering Center (AMRDEC) Safe Access File Exchange (SAFE) application is used to send large files to individuals which would normally be too large to send via email. There are no user accounts for SAFE - authentication is handled via email and CAC. Everyone in DoD has access to SAFE, and the application is available for use by anyone.
The AMRDEC SAFE application can be accessed via https://safe.amrdec.army.mil/safe.
- There are two options to proceed from the SAFE homepage:
- Proceed as CAC User - Select this option if you have a valid US DoD-issued CAC.
- Proceed as Guest - Select this option if you do not have a CAC .
- After selecting one of the options above, the page will be redirected to the package upload form. Fill in all the required input fields:
- Your Name - Your name;
- Your Email address - Your email address;
- Confirm Your Email Address - Re-enter your email address;
- Description of File(s) - Enter a description for the package;
- File(s) - Click the "Browse" button to select your file(s). You may add up to 25 files per package, so long as the total file size does not exceed 2GB;
- Deletion Date - Select a date for the package to be deleted from SAFE. The maximum (which is also the default) is two weeks (14 days) from today;
- Provide an email address to give access to - Enter your recipient here and click "Add". CAC users may enter a semicolon-delimited list of emails in bulk so each recipient does not need to be added individually;
- Grant access to these people - This is the list of people you have granted access to the package. To remove a recipient, highlight their name and click the "Remove" button;
- Caveats - Default is "None";
- Encrypt email message when possible - Attempt to encrypt the package's notification email to each recipient;
- Notify me when files are downloaded - You (the sender) will receive a notification via email when a recipient downloads the package;
- Require CAC for pickup - Require the recipient to be logged in with a valid US DoD-issued CAC to download the file(s). Recipients without a CAC will not be able to download the package.
- Clicking the "Submit" button will upload the files and submit the package. Guest users will need to check their email to verify their email address before the recipients will be notified. No additional action is required by CAC users.
- After the package has been uploaded (and verified, if proceeding as a guest), each recipient will receive a link to the package download page as well as a password. These passwords are unique for each recipient (not the package), and will be disabled once SAFE detects that the user successfully downloaded each file within the package. Forwarding recipient and sender notification emails to anyone except the AMRDEC SAFETeam is strictly forbidden.
Recipients will automatically be notified via email when they have been added as a recipient to a package. The email they receive will contain a link and a password. Clicking on the link will take the recipient to a page where they will be asked for the password. The best way to enter the password is to copy it from the email and then paste it into the password box.
After logging in, the recipient will be able to download all the files within the package. We recommend right-clicking on each file and selecting the "Save Target As" option to select the location to save the file to.
After downloading every file within the package, the recipient will not be able to log back in to download the files again. Simply logging in or starting a download will not lock the user out. In order to be locked out, the recipient must successfully download every file within the package.
After uploading a package, the sender will receive a notification email with a link and a password. After accessing the link and entering the password, the sender will be able to manage their package:
- Adding Files - The sender can upload additional files to the package. Recipients will receive an additional notice email informing them that the package has been updated. Recipients who have already downloaded the package will be allowed back in to get the additional files.
- Adding Recipients - The sender can grant access to additional recipients to the package.
- Resending Recipient Notifications - If a recipient lost or never received their notification to pickup the files, the notification can be resent.
- Checking Recipient Status - The list at the bottom of the status page will show each recipient and whether or not they have downloaded the package. A download status of "False" means that they have not downloaded the package, whereas a download status of "True" means that they have. This feature is available regardless of whether or not the sender selected the "Notify me" on the upload page.
If you encounter any issues while using SAFE, please try using the Help Center to find your answer.