The default roles are outlined below:
- Instructor: Instructors have full permissions throughout the site, including the ability to publish the site and set its global access. Instructors can read, revise, delete, and add both content and participants to a site.
- Teaching Assistant: Teaching Assistants can read, add, and revise most content in their sections.
- Student: Students can read content, and add content to a site where appropriate. They cannot see unpublished sites or hidden content.
- Guest Lecturer: Guest Lecturers have similar permissions throughout the site as instructors, but do not have the ability to edit or delete content created by an instructor.
- Course Developer: Can access all materials and content, including the Assignments and Tests & Quizzes functionality, but cannot modify Site Info or grading, and can't preview assignments or tests.
- Observer: Observers have similar permissions as students, but cannot add content, view the grade book, nor submit assignments and assessments..
- Organizer: The Organizer role has full permissions throughout the site, including the ability to publish the site and set its global access. The Organizer role can read, revise, delete, and add both content and participants to a site.
- Participant: The Participant role can read content and add content to a site where appropriate.
- Observer: The Observer role can read content where appropriate.
Many tools have a Permissions option which allow course instructors to customize what each role can and can't do within that tool. The most common tools with Permission options are:
- Chat Rooms
Sakai system admins have some additional capabilities to modify tool permissions on a site-by-site basis, If there are site specific permissions you would like, please contact email@example.com to determine if it can be accomplished. Please communicate the full site title as well as the permissions desired for that site.