Overview of Working with External Users
To better support collaboration with people external to NPS, ITACS has created a new active directory domain called EXERN. This new domain allows NPS, for the first time, to extend the single-sign on (SSO) functionality to our external research partners and colleagues.
What's Different about EXERN Accounts?
The only difference is with how the user logs in - EXERN users authenticate by entering their email address and password. EXERN users can be added to your space and collaborate and participate right alongside NPS users (ERN).
Who is Allowed to Request Accounts for External Users?
Only the Wiki Space Owner or the Wiki Space Administrators are allowed to request the creation of new external user accounts.
What Information Is Required to Create the Accounts?
The following information is required for all new EXERN user accounts:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email Address
- Contact Phone
- Space Owner
How to Request EXERN Accounts?
If you need user EXERN accounts to be setup, please contact email@example.com with the information required to create the accounts, First Name, Last Name, etc.
How can someone change or reset their EXERN account password?
You may access the EXERN Account Password Management tool here https://npspassword.nps.edu/exern/myPassword/PasswordReset.aspx and follow the instructions to change your password. Once you have changed it, you will not be required to change your password again for another 90 days.
What are the EXERN password complexity and account requirements?
- Passwords will be set to a minimum of 15 characters.
- Passwords will contain at least
- 2 – Lowercase letters (a, b, c . . .)
- 2 – Uppercase letters (A, B, C . . .)
- 2 – Numbers (1, 2, 3 . . .)
- 2 – Special characters (#, *, & . . .)
- Passwords shall not be a single word in any language.
- Passwords may not be a repeat of the last 24 passwords used.
- After three unsuccessful logon attempts, your account will be locked out. You will have to wait 30 minutes before attempting your logon again.
- If you do not utilize your account, it will be disabled after 30 days of inactivity.
- You may review our Password Policy for additional information.
What happens if someone does not change their password within 90 days?
Your EXERN account will be locked and you will not be able to access your Wiki Space. You will have to go to the EXERN Account Password Management tool and use the "Unlock Account" feature. If you are still unable to access your Wiki Space, please contact your NPS Wiki Space Owner.
What happens if I have not used my account in 30 days?
Your EXERN account will be disabled. Please contact your NPS Wiki Space Owner to have them contact the Technology Assistance Center.