We had great session out on Monterey Bay last Friday (April 11) practicing launch and recovery of our "Mako" WaveGlider SV-2.
Our efforts were led by Daniel Merritt, Senior Field Operations Technician for Liquid Robotics Inc. (LRI).
- Pierside "fast cruise" rehearsing all activities
- Pre-deployment checklist complete
- XBee and Iridium networking tests all satisfactory
- Wave Glider Management System (WGMS) monitoring and commands
- Four launches and four recoveries (always good when those numbers match!)
- A number of things need to be added to our equipment chest, including special boathook clips and umbilical "messenger" unit
- One equipment problem: stress-fracture cracks appeared on the plexiglass for the forward solar cells.
- Team effort is essential.
Participants: Kevin Smith, Qing Wang, Dick Lind, Kate Hermsdorfer, Greg Thornton, Vance Villarreal, Renato Vio Peres, Ryan Yamaguchi and Don Brutzman.