Mozilla Firefox and CAC / Smart Card Setup
Follow these instructions to easily use your CAC or other smart card with Firefox. ActiveClient software is not needed anymore. Windows 7 should automatically recognize most USB-based readers so no additional software is required.
Install the DOD Root Certificates for Firefox
- Most likely you'll need local admin access on the computer you're working with
- Latest version of Firefox
- DOD Root Certificates installed and available to Firefox. Download the full version of the DOD-PKE app (not the command line version).
- Install the certificates to BOTH the windows and Mozilla certificate stores when asked.
Using OpenSC to configure Firefox for Smart Cards
This is probably the simpler method and can be done in 5 minutes.
- Download OpenSC from the website: http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc
- NOTE: I could not get the 64bit version to work with my Win7 O/S so I used 32bit instead.
- Install OpenSC and accept the defaults
- Add a new security device following the instructions on this page: http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/MozillaSteps
- NOTE: on my system, the openpkcs dll file you want was installed to C:\Windows\System32
Test it Out!
Restart your browser after adding the new security device as described above. Have your card reader connected, enter your card, and visit a site requiring client certificate authentication.