Optical Signaling refers to Line of Sight (LOS) information transfer using visual means. Each of these techniques has the potential to significantly reduce vulnerability to detection of electromagnetic (EM) emissions radio emissions.
Quick Reaction (QR) Code Streaming
Quick Reaction (QR) Codes can be used for single messages of various sizes or to create a streaming data channel.
Lucas, Andrew, Digital Semaphore: Technical Feasibility of QR Code Optical Signaling for Fleet Communications, Master’s Thesis, Naval Postgraduate School, June 2013. Received NPS Outstanding Thesis Award.
- Richter, Stephen P., Digital Semaphore: Tactical Implications of QR Code Optical Signaling for Fleet Communications, Master’s Thesis, Naval Postgraduate School, June 2013. Received NPS Outstanding Thesis Award.
- Sokol, Christopher R., “A Study on Using Quick Reference Codes in Airport Surface Operations to Reduce Accidents and Incidents While Taxiing,” capstone project, Embry-Riddle University, 18 June 2013.
QR Code on King Hall
NPS thesis work in 2013 investigated the possibility of viewing QR codes as a data-signaling mechanism to aircraft. Here are pictures of the completed QR Code on King Hall.
As part of our building an open-source application, here is a video demonstration of our open-source QR Visual Chat application that works without a network. Working nickname: "Digital Semaphore" for use in Network Optional Warfare (NOW).
Interested in learning more, or telling us if you have seen the rooftop QR code? Your feedback is welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org , thanks!
- Digital Flashing Light (DFL). New project referring to automation of classic Flashing Light signaling through use of QR Code (Digital Semaphore) streaming techniques.
- TODO: we are interested in obtaining a pair of Navy signal lamps for use in ongoing experimentation.
- Flag Semaphore display and recognition also appears to automatable using digital image analysis techniques.
- Laser and Free-space optical communication
QR Code on King Hall
QR Visual Chat demo