- Postponed to future date TBD. No reallyThis draft workshop did not occur. Nevertheless themes and directions for further work remain valid and ongoing.
- Hosts: NAVFAC, NPS, and Synergy Software Design (SSD)
- Maritime Plaza, Navy Yard, Washington DC
How can the Navy best take advantage of long-term opportunities for 3D collaboration, viewing, printing and scanning? We are standing up multiple X3D-capable servers that let us actively explore major new capabilities together.
Gathering all goals and requirements can help the initial rollout of these capabilities.
- Multiple opportunities for cooperative Navy and Marine Corps innovation using 3D models are emerging. Shared 3D visualization over the Web can help naval personnel worldwide, enabling better insight, increased velocity of learning, and knowledge sharing through real-time group collaboration.
- The objective of this information meeting is to raise awareness, share recent examples showcasing innovation using 3D graphics, and explore shared strategies that can serve as key innovation enablers in the areas of collaboration, model exchanges and Additive Manufacturing (AM).
- Multiple speakers provide fast-paced briefings that together show a "bigger space" emerging. These practical capabilities can have positive effects on weapon system design goals, contracting requirements, logistics, maintenance and operations.
- Data standards provide archival stability for long-term re-use even as software capabilities continue to advance rapidly.
- Participants can discuss their reactions "around the table" together to share ideas of opportunities, and potential synergies that can further the "art of the possible" to support Department of the Navy Innovation.
- Please join us to share ideas and consider new strategic innovation possibilities for 2017 and beyond.
Presentations (draft agenda)
- Goals and Objectives
- Spiders3D Release Demonstration, Alex Viana NAVFAC and Mike Russalesi SSD
- Navy Contract Requirements for Viewable X3D Models, NAVAIR team
- Navy X3D Model Exchange Preparations using NIH 3D Print Exchange, Don Brutzman NPS and Meghan McCarthy NIH
- Web3D Consortium Activities and Opportunities, Anita Havele, Web3D Consortium
- USMC Fablab Activities and Expeditionary Manufacturing, Matt Friedell
- Navy Fablab Activities, speaker TBD
- Navy Medical Needs for 3D, speaker TBD
- Naval History and Heritage Command assets and objectives, speaker TBD
- Metadata and Licensing for Government Model Exchanges, Meghan McCarthy NIH
- 3D Blacksburg and Geospatial Metadata Strategies for VT/Virginia
- SPAWAR 3D Scanning and Additive Manufacturing for Ships, speaker TBD
- 3DPDF Consortium Capabilities, Goals and Objectives, Jerry McFeeters
- NPS Additive Manufacturing (AM) Project Activities, Claudia Luhrs and Amela Sadagic NPS
- STOQS and Robodata mission archives for ocean experimentation, Mike McCann MBARI and Don Brutzman NPS