The LMA tool is an easy way to create and update course content and Presentations in Sakai.
The Naval Postgraduate School’s Center for Design, Development and Distribution (CED3) has developed the Learning Module App (LMA), a tool that can be added to Sakai and provides an intuitive easy way to build out content for students. Using LMA instructors are able to create modules with a custom menu and add multiple types of content and interactions to the pages. Instructors can also use the in-line recorder to easily record an audio podcast, and use the presentation tool for creating multimedia presentations. The presentations are created online, slides and media are easily edited and can be exported for delivery offline. Content created with LMA is compatible with modern mobile devices and tablets.
For more information about LMA please contact the Center for Educational Design, Development, and Distribution (CED3) or view the tutorials.
With this application Instructors can:
- Create Learning Content - the tools in LMA make it easy to create content that includes, video, audio, images, and links. You can also mix in self check questions and polls.
- Create Presentations - using existing PowerPoint presentations you can quickly build a web based presentation by dragging and dropping content into LMA. The presentation can then be narrated by either recording directly on the page or by importing existing audio.
To Add LMA to Your Sakai Course
In your Sakai Course, add a new Web Content tool with the link: https://eddy.nps.edu/LMA
- Open your Sakai course in a browser
- Click the Site Editor tool
- Click the Edit Tools link
- Check the Web Content tool and click Continue
- In the Title box enter the title you want to show in the sidebar menu (e.g. Course Materials or Weekly Modules)
- In the Source enter the link to LMA: https://eddy.nps.edu/LMA
- Click Continue
- Click Finish
- Click the new tool in the Sakai sidebar
- Create a new Module
- For more help either click the help button in the instructor toolbar view the tutorials. within LMA , or
- Create narrated presentations using video, images, audio (recording online or importing), highlighting, synching, tools to easily edit/update presentations
- Mix quizzes and content in-line for self-paced material
- Content works on mobile devices (iPhone/Android) and tablets (iPad/Android) as well as on older browsers (IE8+)
- Video must be MP4 H.264 format and can be converted to the correct format by contacting CED3.
- On the page voice recorder for instructors
- Share content between Sakai courses, the same LMA module can be shown in multiple Sakai courses so you can update the content once and have it updated in all courses.
- Modules can be copied and you can share your module with other instructors. If you want to have slightly different content in each Sakai course or you want to share a module with another instructor but don't want them changing your course, you can copy a completed module and then edits will not affect the other course.
- Upload files using drag and drop
- Make your content social
- Add a comment area to any page and students can provide direct feedback or have discussions without leaving the page.
- Add a poll to any page and students can respond to a poll to see what the rest of the class thinks
- Add a student presentation assignment and students can create their own narrated presentations and the rest of the class can comment and rate
- Hide and show items and pages based on date or completion of an activity
- Reorder items on a page by drag and drop
- Copy items to same page, different page in same module or to a different module
- Create multiple modules in a single Sakai course. Instructors can create their own Modules.
- Apply a custom skin to your module, currently 5 custom templates available (Contact CED3 if you would like to have a custom template for your curriculum )
- Types of Content
- Text, Images, and Links
- Easy to use text editor
- Add content that is hidden initially and only shown after the user clicks a button
- Format table text
- Add Links
- Video will play in an HTML5 compatible player that also works for older browser.
- Easy to use text editor
- Assessments & Activities
- Fill In the Blank
- Fill In the Table
- Matching (by dragging)
- Title the paragraph
- Multiple Choice / True-False
- Short essay questions using either text or audio for responses
- Student Presentations
- Text, Images, and Links
- User Tracking / Student Answers
- See how many pages individual students have viewed
- View student answers to activities
- Language support for teaching foreign languages
- Flip Language, allows a module to show multiple languages for the same content
- Right to Left language support, including a custom skin that moves the interface from LTR to RTL
- On the page glossary
- Global glossary with searchable words. Glossary can be created by copy/pasting a glossary from Excel.
- Exportable, modules can be exported to a standalone HTML or SCORM format.
- Advanced users can customize the CSS to create your own look and feel.
LMA works best in a modern browser, such as Google Chrome, Firefox, or Internet Explorer 11+. Some features, like drag and drop are only supported on desktop and only on the latest browsers. LMA does not support creating or viewing content in Internet Explorer 7 or lower.