You are viewing an old version (v. /display/ADDM/Additive+Manufacturing) of this page.
Welcome to the Naval Postgraduate School's (NPS) Additive Manufacturing (AM) wiki.
Additive manufacturing (AM) and 3D printing involves processes and technologies used to make three-dimensional (3D) objects. The AM wiki seeks to build a collaborative environment and community of interest for the advancement of additive manufacturing and 3D printing research at NPS. This website links Additive Manufacturing (AM) projects, assets and capabilities of interest to faculty and students across NPS. All interested NPS faculty, staff and students are welcome to contribute.
- Robodojo (robodojo.nps.edu) is an innovation space (located on NPS campus in Root Hall, Room 125) where students, staff, faculty, and friends can come 'tinker' and learn about robot components and systems. Facility support includes 3D printers, laser cutters, milling machines and lots of "maker" capabilities.
- Savage Lab Watkins 267 has 2 MakerBot printers.
- ME Materials Science lab is experimenting with metal powders and other new capabilities.
- Space Systems lab
- Systems Engineering lab
Partnership Strategy. The Naval Additive Manufacturing X3D Model Exchange: Preliminary Operational Capability project is a part of a larger roll out to share 3D models that support Naval Additive Manufacturing (AM). This Naval Research Program (NRP) effort is translating a National Institutes of Health (NIH) 3D Model Exchange server to make it applicable for Naval use. It is intended to help the Navy and Marine Corps define requirements for model sharing, user interfaces, and cyber protection of both systems and 3D data. Developmental testing in the .edu domain supports future expeditionary prototyping, informing a roadmap being assembled by Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) in collaboration with SPAWAR using the Navy Marine Corps Intranet (NMCI). Additional broad development work that explores support for the Marine Corps is proceeding in parallel. These potential operational capabilities can inform future operational requirements, further supporting collaborative exploratory efforts by NAVFAC Engineering and Expeditionary Warfare Center (EXWC). In turn, this combined work is intended to inform future operational capability requirements that the Navy is working to develop with other Department of Defense (DoD).
Fabrication Laboratories (Fab Labs) and Maker Spaces. ...add here....
- Make this site a showcase for NPS activities
- Collect assets for upcoming ModelExchange.nps.edu
- Archive links and descriptions to standards activities and Navy/USMC assets of general interest
- Calendar update
- Provide special-case information for milsuite
- NPS additive manufacturing thesis page
- AM in the News page
- New developers on the model exchange: model exchange; directions for how to join
- Naval Web-Based Collaboration and Model Exchanges using X3D, information meeting, 31 JAN 2017.
- Sea Air Space Exposition booth presentations, National Harbor MD, 3-5 April 2017.
Goal Requirements for Navy 3D Collaboration and Printing, Navy Yard, 1 February (tentative).
Naval Research Program (NRP) posters:
- Additive Manufacturing (AM) at NPS
- CAD Interoperability for Navy Reuse in in 3D Printing, Maintenance and Reuse
- No labels